Saturday, April 13, 2013

JAG or why I can’t listen to Lifehouse without crying anymore

It happened about 8 years ago. Suddenly we were saying goodbyes to great characters with whom we’ve spent 10 years of our lives. I remember how eager I was when the promo for the JAG finale appeared on my screen, how many times I watched it (and a long it was taking to do it, aaaah dear Youtube you weren’t born yet). And this song: “You and Me” by Lifehouse (youtube video). Remembered how this song was so perfect for Harm and Mac.

'Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do
Nothing to lose
And it's you and me and all other people
And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you

Being a teenager in the first half of 2000’s, I was watching all those TV shows such as Roswell, Smallville and Boston Public. Lifehouse was a band you couldn’t ignore because their songs were used several times especially Everything. This song was so beautiful and used to make me cry. And then “You and Me” arrived. I immediately recognized Jason Wade’s voice and thought “gosh it’s the song of JAG finale. It is gonna to be hard to listen to it again after that.” (I actually knew the song before it was on the promo video).

And yes, I can’t hear it without crying and worse, I can’t, really, I can’t listen to it without hearing, around 3’12 – 3’14, Harm’s voice saying “let’s get married”. I swear the first time the song played on my computer several days after JAG finale; I thought there was a problem on my CD. I really had the idea they erase Harm’s voice on my damn CD. How silly it was.

Today, I’m not crying as much as I was a long time ago which at first, appeared to be a good thing. But at the end, I think it’s worse. Before I was crying because I still feel sad by the end but there was a little glimmer of hope in my heart. It is grief mixed with anger and frustration. For a couple of years I thought we would have a JAG movie or some NCIS double episode. After all why not? When they needed to launch this damn NCIS, they used JAG and made this terrible storyline sending Harm to jail. Why haven’t they done the same to at least thank JAG fans considering the end they gave to us (and this, my friends, will be the subject of another article). And worse, I think during a long moment I was denying the whole idea of JAG ending. As if one day, I would put on my TV and suddenly see them back again in new episodes after a long hiatus.

This is why today it’s harder to hear “you and me” as I’m facing the idea they will not come back. It’s as if suddenly a dream was becoming a nightmare but so slowly that you don’t even notice the change.

What day is it? And in what month?
This clock never seemed so alive

Those lyrics seemed so true now. Years seemed to have passed so quickly. I just wish this clock could go back 8 years ago…’cause it’s you my dear JAG and me.

1 comment:

  1. I still cry, because this was the end of a beautiful adventure, meeting so many people I'm now blessed to call friends ... and not seeing Harm every week on a screen.

    ReplyDelete